Friday, August 3, 2012

Well, It's been a while since i got back from belize, and my mom suggested that I make her a blog post that  you could see what I've been up to! Thank you so much for everyone who contributed! I had great time, and learned a lot about a new culture!
The cafeteria we were helping to build. We built the main structure, the foundation was already there, and I believe the next group did the ceiling and started on the plaster. the darker pillar in the middle is made of solid cement that we had to mix by hand with shovels, as are the two little stripes above the windows. The wooden frames on the two corners are holding up wet cement that needs to dry. After drying overnight, the first thing we did was to pull down the forms, remove all the nails for the boards, and put them up on the next two locations that needed cement.




One of the workers came to visit us, and he brought his pet parrot, Polly. Polly didn't seem to like us very much though, some people got scratched, hahaha.

To the right is one of my favorite pictures of the Mayan ruins at Lamani. We were fortunate enough to be able to climb up the tallest temple at Lamani, pictured below. You can't really tell in the picture, but those stairs are incredibly steep and large, which is strange, because the Mayans were a shorter than average race of people. They probably would have had to climb up the stairs on their hands and knees!

I met wonderful people, and it was a great chance to serve those who are less fortunate than we are. I met lots of great new friends, and I fully recommend this trip to all of you!  Jacob.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Sweet trip! What a great experience--I am so glad you did it!