Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Float

Our Stake float in the Pioneer Day parade.  My friend Becky is walking along side it.  She came up with the concept for the float and her daughter drew sketches for it.  It represents one of the early Herriman pioneers, Mary Jane Butterfield.  They raised sheep and she would gather and dye the wool with local berries and plants to create beautiful quilts.  She loved color!  

Mary and I worked on the float.  I spray painted Ms. Butterfield's dress and cut many of the quilt squares.


Mary painted and decorated a couple of the socks hanging on the line.


It was fun to watch the progress of the float at an old neighbor's house and on the blog they kept.  It was animated.  The spinning wheel rotated and a couple of sheep were involved in a stick pulling contest.  We were pleased to find that it had won an award for honoring the pioneer's creativity and ingenuity.  Fun to watch it in action on the parade route!  I had never really thought about what went into building a float before.  Hope everyone had a great Pioneer Day!  And, Happy Birthday Dad!!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I loved the colored sheep. Being a crafter myself I am in awe of all the floats, they are like the ultimate paper gluers fantasy. I am so glad people take so much time to build them so folks like me a enjoy them for a few minutes.

Becky B. said...

Thanks for the plug and the pic. This is the first pic I've found that has a picture of me in front of the float. Did you hear that we had some technical difficulties and had to drive down the parade route blind? That I why I'm on the walkie-talkie. What a great adventure that whole process was. I'm glad that you got to be part of it.