Friday, February 10, 2012

Recap

Last year I decided to celebrate my 40th year by making a list of 40 things I want to do or accomplish during the year. I listed them here so that I would feel a bit more accountable. Well, I'm happy to report that I was mostly successful. The red x means completed in full. Here's the rundown:

X1. Read President Monson's biography
X2. Save another $1,000 toward taking the family on a church history tour in a few years.
3. Help my son, J., go on a humanitarian trip this year. (All signed up and ready to go to Belize this June 2012!)
X4. Run 1/2 marathon (ran 2!)
X5. Read the Book of Mormon again in my personal study
X6. Update my will, have Spence update his (Actually, done, but in progress too.  We're creating a trust to go with it.)
7. Transfer home movies to DVD (1/2 done.  Family videos are on DVD, but the smaller tapes still need to be done.  Working on it!)
X8. Update family scrapbooks, baby books
X9. Get another article published
X10. Attend the temple 12 times. We always make the goal of once a month, but end up going 11 times. The goal is at least 12 this year!
X11. Write in my journal at least 1 time each month
X12. Take my three oldest children and hubby to see Hale Centre Theater's "Christmas Carol"
X13. Plant a garden in our new garden area
X14. Attend a U2 concert (finally!)
X15. Monthly parent/child dates with kids
16. Get all the way through "365 Manners Children Should Know" book with family (UGH!  Fail.  We only got about 1/2 way through.  We'll keep working on it, though.)
X17. At least one day at either BYU Women's Conference or BYU Education Week
X18. Give N. piano lessons (well, actually, it ended up being a little bit of piano and guitar lessons)
19. Weekly Monday night rotations teaching my kids how to cook (Yes and no.  We did do this some, but not regularly, like I had hoped.  The good thing is that my kids come and help with dinner more than they used to and with less or no complaining.  Getting there.)
X20. Regular Family Home Evenings
X21. Go on an overnight getaway with my hubby
X22. Re-learn how to play "On Golden Pond" on the piano
X23. Re-organize our food storage
X24. Re-do 72 hour kits in the spring
25. Re-do 72 hour kits in the fall (Nope.  We did, however, do a bunch of canning and freezing for food storage, so I'm excusing myself on this one.  I'll re-do them again this Spring.)
X26. Read "Run for Life" book
X27. Run in the "Dirty Girl" race
X28. Help J. get his Eagle Scout award
X29. Take my Mom to lunch (Took Dad on a lunch date too!)
X30. Take my sister Amy to lunch
X31. Take my sister Jenn to lunch
X32. Take my sister Emily to lunch
X33. Take my sister Janet to lunch
X34. Finish and publish our family 2010 book
X35. Plan and carry out a fun Valentine's date for Spence
X36. Take the family on a Downtown adventure. Trax, dinner, Clark Planetarium
X37. Make and take honey candy family recipe for Christmas neighbor treats
X38. Get a physical check-up
X39. Write 40 letters or notes of appreciation and love to 40 different people
X40. Stay sane. Well, maybe I shouldn't be the one to judge that.

So there you have it.  Since I put it out there in the first place, I figured I should report the results.  Overall, I'm pretty pleased.  It was nice to have a list of goals for the year, and I really worked hard and did my best, not to prove anything, but just to have some focus for myself as I teeter on the brink of ancient-ness.   A last farewell kiss to 40 today.  Onward and upward!

2 comments:

Becky B. said...

Way to set goals!! You go girl.

You said that you published a family book... on facebook would you tell me what company you used to do that? I want to publish my blog but have been unsatisfied with all the online publishing sites.

g said...

I am so impressed! you always impress me.